Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pork Chops and Tchaikovsky

I’ve found that I go through music seasons.  In the Late Summer into Fall I am generally interested in Singer Songwriter music like Ray LaMontagne or Ryan Adams.  During the Winter I’m normally overindulging in the holidays and whatever station is playing the best mix.  With the Spring comes Top 40 because I want some pep in my step and Summer is normally Country music (don’t cringe.)

Lately I’ve been tempering the Singer Songwriter with Classical.  I just downloaded The Very Best of Tchaikovsky and I have been listening, rather voraciously, for days. 

Whether it’s visions of Sugar Plum Fairies dancing in my head or Swans waltzing through the lakes, I can’t seem to get enough.  It reminds me of being a child, driving anywhere with my mom.  She always had Classical Music playing in the background.

Mostly what comes to mind is driving to the butcher shop on a Saturday, listening to her hum along.  I loved every minute.  Well, at least in my memories I do.  I was a persnickety child.

I miss being with my mom.  She truly is one of my closest friends (friend seems like too casual a word, really) and I don’t talk to her or spend enough time with her.  She lives five hours away and I hate it. 

As I was listening to Tchaikovsky on the way home from work, humming along, I imagined listening to it with my mom while we’re canning homemade apple sauce and apple pie filling next weekend.  It would be even better if my sister was there too.  I missed their jelly making extravaganza a couple of weekends ago. 

I wish we all lived closer, but until I win the Powerball I’ll have to be satisfied with the occasional weekend and holidays.  Of course, I’ll have to bring along The Very Best of Tchaikovsky to set the mood.

2 comments:

  1. That makes me sad. I wish you lived closer as well. Let's pray for the Power Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me sad too :) I guess I should start playing the Powerball. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis