Monday, January 10, 2011

The Most Expensive Coffee I've Ever Had

Friday morning, we were hit with a smallish snow storm.  It was only going to give us a couple of inches.  No one thought anything of it.  I certainly didn't.

I left home a little early that day.  I planned on stopping on the way to work for a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich.

The roads were a little slick, but nothing out of the ordinary for this time of the year.  I opted to not go the back way to the turnpike because there are lots of twists and turns.  I didn't want to take any chances.  Last year, hubs got stuck on those back roads and a kind man drove him home in his big truck.  I didn't want to tempt fate.

The drive took a little longer than usual, but that's to be expected.  I made my way down a two-lane highway, through a few traffic lights and headed on towards my favorite coffee in the world. The Dunkin' Donuts sign was shining like a beacon in the dark of the early morning.  (Cue the singing angels. Or Monty Python...)

I turned into the parking lot of the shopping center and noticed that not a blade had touched it.  I worried for a second, but I drove on.

I stopped in the center lane or what I thought was the center lane and checked for other traffic.  There was none so I started the left turn.  I started to slide.  All of my drivers ed classes flashed through my brain.  Steer into the skid.  Steer against the skid.  Don't hit the breaks.  Don't hit the breaks?  Hit the breaks!  Hit the breaks!

I hit the breaks.  I hit the curb. A little five-inch curb...  BANG!

You would have thought a bomb went off. 
I backed up and pulled into the parking lot and got out to survey the damage.  There was no visible damage.  Tire was inflated.  No dents.  Thank you, God!

I got my coffee and my sandwich and went on my merry way. My car was driving a little funny, but the roads are icy.  I pulled into a gas station and checked the tire pressure.  It was perfect.  I figured as soon as I get to the turnpike, the roads will clear up and I'll be fine.  It's just the roads.

It wasn't just the roads.  You see, friends.  I had bent the control arm of my car to the point where I was lucky it didn't shake off of my car.  Me, the dumbass of the year, drove the next forty miles to work.  On. A. Wonky. Tire. (Mom, I'm ok.  Sorry I didn't tell you.  I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  Ok, I'm calling you now, before you read this.)

I got to work THEN I called AAA and had my car towed to my local garage.  Got to ride in a tow truck.  Thanks, Eddie!

So, a 50 mile tow (thank God for AAA), a new control arm, new strut and new tie rod later... That was the most expensive cup of coffee I've ever had.  A $600 cup of coffee.  Mmmm. Delicious.

2 comments:

  1. $600? You'd think you stopped at Starbucks or something.
    Seriously, though, glad you're ok. So sorry about the unwanted expenditure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, who knew Dunkin' Donuts could be so expensive!
    Finally get my car back and drive to work today, only to have to drive home in snow. Snow is my nemesis. Or it's curbs...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis