Saturday, January 15, 2011

Thank God For Small Favors

A couple of years ago, my in-laws bought me a laptop for use in my new career in real estate.  That did not pan out after more than a year of struggling, but I still had this awesome laptop to use. 

I loved it.  I could edit photos, blog, surf, whatever I wanted.  Then it broke.  I just stopped working.  I thought it was the video card.  Hubs didn’t know what it was.  All I know is that it just stopped working. Consistent Blue Screen of Death dead… No Safe Mode. No passing Go. No Collecting $200 dollars.  Dead. 

We made do with the desktop. I fully realize how ridiculous this makes me sound, but our desktop was a dinosaur. You would click on something, go make a pot of coffee, come back and still have to wait five minutes for it to engage.  We really needed a faster computer.  Hubs is taking college classes online and this was not cutting it.

So, for my birthday last year, hubs bought me a netbook.  It was nice, but it was not my laptop with the 17” monitor, cd drive and the keyboard took some getting used to.  It had all the power of my laptop in a miniature form.  It worked great until the day there was a little accident.  I was having a glass of wine and tweeting, probably.  It was summer.  There was condensation.  I think we all know where this is going. 

Of course we didn’t get the insurance on the old one.  That would have been smart.  I sucked it up and went out and bought a new one.  It is still alive.  I haven’t dropped it or anything on it yet. (Knock on wood.)

So, my big, hefty laptop sat in our sitting room collecting dust until today.  I had been saying that I want to get it fixed.  Hubs has been saying that it would cost too much and he was going to chuck it if he couldn’t get it to work.  I was devising ways of sneaking it out of the house unnoticed. 

Hubs turned it on today.  It works.  It turned on, it ran some diagnostic test and it fixed the problem.  I am so excited.  It’s sad, really, that this is what it takes to excite me these days, but it’s the little things.  I love my computer.  I’m so glad it’s back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis